Seven Cocktails to Celebrate Independence Day
The Fourth of July is swiftly approaching, and Independence Day is the perfect time to invite some friends over and fire up the grill. While you’ll definitely be serving beer at your party, we’re here to encourage you to take it a step further this year by offering a featured cocktail. It couldn’t be any simpler, just pick out your favorite from our list, and snag a bottle of the requisite spirit at your local liquor store. Mix up a batch for your friends, and class up your festivities this year. We have seven recommendations, each featuring a different spirit produced here in the good ole USA. Celebrate us sticking it to England in proper style with one of these awesome summer cocktails.
Cherry Bounce Limeade – Chicken Cock
- 1.5 oz. Chicken Cock Whiskey “Cherry Bounce”
- 4 Cherries
- ½ fresh lime
- 3 oz. cola
- Muddle 4 cherries in a rocks glass.
- Add juice from ½ fresh lime and fill glass with cubed ice.
- Add 1.5 oz. Chicken Cock Whiskey Cherry Bounce and 3 oz. of Cola.
- Garnish with cherry and lime.
Martha Washington wrote about her recipe for “Cherry Bounce” which she mixed and served to her husband George, you may have heard of him. Cherry Bounce was a popular concoction in Colonial America, made with whiskey, cherry juice and sugar. The modern Chicken Cock version adds Cherry Cola to the mix. Cherry Bounce Limeade is cool, refreshing and has a uniquely American heritage.
Hard Cherry Lemonade – Salute American
- 1.5oz Salute American Vodka
- (5) fresh, pitted sweet cherries
- 3oz fresh lemonade (1 part lemon juice, 1 part cane sugar, 3 parts water)
- In a mixing glass, muddle five fresh cherries in 1.5oz of Salute American vodka.
- Add lemonade.
- Fill a shaker tin with ice and pour mixer contents into tin.
- Hard shake.
- Double strain into highball glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a few whole unpitted cherries.
Introducing Salute American, a premium vodka that donates $1 to veterans charities for every bottle sold. Salute American was crafted to help create jobs for US veterans and is pure American from start to finish. The American-made vodka, which was approved for the USA Certified™ Seal, is made from corn and wheat grains straight from the heartland. It’s then four times distilled for a smooth and sweet taste that works well mixed or neat. The canteen-shaped bottle bears the red, white and blue.
Independence Blend – Cruzan
- 2 parts Cruzan Estate Diamond Light Rum
- 1 part Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
- 4 parts Fresh Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 of a Banana
- 1/2 part Strawberry Purée
- 12 parts Ice
- Add all but the Strawberry Purée to a blender and blend untill smooth.
- Pour Strawberry Purée in the bottom of a large glass and add blended mix to combine.
- Garnish with an American Flag.
This frozen treat with a patriotic appeal evokes classic tastes of the summer, and is sure to please a crowd for the holiday weekend. With touches of red and white, the Cruzan Independence blend is perfect to add to the mix at any gathering this year.
Summer Spice – Knob Creek
- 1 ¼ Parts Knob Creek® Rye Whiskey
- ½ Part Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ Part Orange Liqueur
- ¼ Part White Creme De Cocoa
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker.
- Shake vigorously with ice and strain into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lime wheel.
If you’re looking for a classic summer cocktail, why not try this version by Celebrity Chef, Michael Symon. Knob Creek Summer Spice is perfect for any day spent outside, by the grill, or with friends! Made with the big, full flavor of Knob Creek Rye Whiskey, this cocktail is sure to spice up any summer gathering.
Stars & Stripes Spiced Ice – Basil Hayden’s
- 2 Parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
- 1 Part Simple Syrup
- 1/2 Lemon, Juiced
- 1 inch of Vanilla Bean
- 5 Basil Leaves
- 1 Basil Sprig
- Combine Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, simply syrup, lemon juice, vanilla bean and basil in a blender.
- Add ice and pulse until ice is pea-sized.
- Pour into a rocks glass. Garnish with a sprig of basil
Basil Hayden’s Stars and Stripes Spiced Ice is the ideal refreshing, frozen libation to spice up any 4th of July festivity. It’s made with the spicy, trademark finish of Basil Hayden’s Bourbon and is a frozen bourbon treat that is a must-have this summer.
Liberty Lemonade – Jim Beam Honey
- 1 part Jim Beam® Honey
- 2 fresh Lemon Sour
- 4-6 fresh Blueberries
- Club Soda
- In a mixing glass, muddle the blueberries with a splash of simple syrup.
- Add the Jim Beam® Honey, lemon sour and shake with ice then fine strain over fresh ice in a tall glass then top with Club Soda.
- Garnish with 3 fresh blueberries and a lemon wheel on the rim.
Bourbon history mirrors U.S. history. Rebellion. Progress. Heroes. Facts. Legends. It’s why bourbon is, and will always be, America’s Native Spirit—a spirit the Beam family has had a tremendous hand in helping to create, foster and grow for over 200 years.
Berry American – Jim Beam
- 1 ½ parts Jim Beam® Original
- 2 parts Fresh Mixed Berries
- 1 part Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 part Simple Syrup
- Lemon-Lime Soda (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients and shake together.
- Strain into a cocktail glass (can be served over ice).
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and blueberries.