Pouring the Perfect Pint of Guinness
Oh it’s the most wonderful time of the year. Where we smile a little easier, we sing a little more and everyone is Irish for at least one day of the year. And if you’re like me, you find it a mortal sin to let a March 17th fly by without drinking at least one delicious, nutritious Guinness and toasting dear ol’ St. Patrick. But beware the ides of March because sometimes you local barkeep is a novice when it comes to pouring the nectar of the gods. There is a very distinct way to pour the official beer of March. Guinness Brewmaster Fergal Murray has instructed us in the art, and now we will share it with you:
1. First you can’t just have any old pint glass. You need the Guinness pint glass. You know the kind:
2. You then need to hold the glass at a 45 degree angle under the tap. The tap should never touch the glass and NEVER hold it straight… what are you? Communist?
3. Fill the glass up 2/3 of the way. Don’t get greedy.
4. Set it down. Let it hang for a bit. Watch the magic inside the glass. That’s over 250 years of perfection your lookin’ at bub. Show some respect.
5. Once it settles, top it off and let it sit again. You now have the perfect pint.
Brewmaster Fergal Murray knows what we’re talkin’ about. Right Ferg?
Now that you know how to pour your pint, why not help set a Guinness World Record for ‘The Largest St. Patrick’s Day Celebration’ ever? Guinness is asking you to pledge that you’re going to celebrate this St. Patrick’s Day in true Irish fashion – with Guinness, and of course remembering to always drink responsibly!
All you have to do is visit www.Guinness.com, where you’ll be prompted to “Join The Party”. On the next page, click on the “Count Me In” button, where it’ll ask you for your first name and zip code. On that screen, there’s an optional code field, where you’ll want to enter GUNA to acknowledge that we invited you to the party.